Friday, June 28, 2013

Restaurant Review: Via della Pace


One of my favorite Italian Restaurants in NYC
When I came back from Florence the first time 6 years ago, I didn't know what to do. I love Italian food, but it's so hard to find Italian food in the States that tastes like Italian food in Italy. There's a difference in the quality and freshness of ingredients as well as preparation. Most Italian food (like any food that comes from a different country) has been Americanized. Over time the food shifts with availability of ingredients and also adjusts to the palates of the majority. 
At first, I found this adjustment quite difficult. I wanted bufala mozzarella that tasted like the mozzarella in Florence.  I wanted things to be the same when it wasn't possible.  It's just the nature of going someplace different.  
But over time I was able to find certain restaurants, certain delis, that, although not exactly the same, were soo close to the food I found while in Italy.  My friends that had studied abroad and I finally found some places that we could really say were true to the Italian spirit of food.  One of those places was Via della Pace in NYC. It's on the lower East Side right off of 2nd Avenue almost directly across from the Pommes Frites
My friend Suzie found it and we have used it often as a fantastic reunion spot.  All of the food that I've tried is amazing and quite good for the cost. It is not super expensive but delicious. The flavors are big and fresh while the service is quite lovely.  The waitstaff is friendly and quick to give advice on wine pairings. They'll even bring samples for you to try.  
It also has a great atmosphere inside. The lighting is low and the tables are relatively close together but comfortable. The moment you sit down, there is bread to eat. The waitstaff will also bring some amazing olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip into while you wait for your food.  It's really relaxed and it is very enjoyable to eat there. No one rushes you out  but the food is served relatively quickly and hot. 
Rigatoni del Pirata
This past Sunday I introduced some of my non Italian friends to this little restaurant and they were quite pleased with the result.  We each ordered something different and then tried one anothers' dishes.  Everything was really, really good.  
I ordered the Rigatoni del Pirata which is baked rigatoni with sausage, mushroom and mozzarella.  It was my absolute favorite thing of the night and probably my favorite thing that I've ever ordered there. It was fresh and a little creamy with a slightly woodsy flavoring from the spices. I paired it with a great light red wine (not too dry) from Montepulciano. 
Ravioli d'Aragosta alla Vodka

My other favorite of the night was the fantastic Ravioli D'Aragosta alla vodka which was an utterly delicious ravioli filled with lobster and creamy ricotta served in a beautiful vodka sauce with red caviar.  I think I might be developing a lobster addicition. I never used to like it but very slowly as I try these new dishes, I love it more and more. These ravioli were perfect. They weren't too heavy with the perfect balance of lobster and cheese. The vodka sauce was also great without being too heavy.  
Fusilli al Pesto del Cinque Terra
Another friend tried the pesto which was light and creamy and surprisingly not too heavy on the basil. The asparagus in that pasta also added a nice crunch and surprise to such a traditional dish. The other surprise dish of the night was the Fettucine Mamma-Nonna Munda which is one of the restaurants signature dishes. I had never tried it before but it was fantastic.  It's homemade fettucine with a meat sauce and it's served with sausage and pork ribs.  The sauce was great and the pork ribs practically fell off the bone. My friends ate it all up!  
Fettucine Mamma-Nonna Munda

We feasted and still had a reasonable bill at the end of the night. Via della Pace also has a great dessert menu but we were so full from a day of munching that we decided to hold off until we could have a nice long walk to burn some calories and make some room.  I do remember some of my friends absolutely LOVE the tiramisu.  And I know they have a wonderful collection of after dinner drinks like amaro, limoncello and grappa!  I'll definitely take my friends back again and make sure they have some space for dessert and espresso!

No comments:

Post a Comment