Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Restaurant Review: Pommes Frites


The first time I tried Pommes Frites was when I was a senior at Sarah Lawrence College. We had gone into the city for a day of adventure and at the end of the night before hopping on the train back to campus we were feeling a bit peckish.  We discovered Pommes Frites and it is still one of my favorite places down by St. Mark's Place.  It is a small hole in the wall and I honestly didn't know what to expect when I first saw it.  It has 2 seats out front with a small table in front of a window and then the inside is dark and not very spacious however, the fries make it all worth it.
Pommes Frites only makes Belgian Style french fries and sauces to go along with them. If you are near 2nd Avenue and feeling like you need a small snack, I highly suggest you try Pommes Frites. The fries are always made right in front of you and there is a long list of sauces that you can try with them, from savory mayos, to spicy to sweet. One of my friends ordered the classic fries which came with ketchup, mayo and onion freshly chopped on top.  These were delicous but normally I like to order the side sauces because they have such a wonderful variety of choices. This time we tried 3 sauces. We got my absolute favorite which is the mango chutney mayo, which has a hint of spice to complement the sweetness of the mango. It is delicious and I could probably eat it by the bucketload... which would not be the smartest ideas but awesome nonetheless. We also tried an utterly fantastic wild mushroom mayo that had a kick of herbs to it (I'm thinking rosemary but I wasn't entirely certain) and the last that we tried was a roasted garlic mayo. Everytime I go, I try to try a couple of new or different flavors since there are so many great options. Every specialty sauce is a dollar unless you do the three flavor combination (which I highly recommend) which only costs $2.50.
The three awesome mayos we tried; top wild mushroom, right mango chutney and bottom garlic herb.
On Sunday, there were six of us snacking and we were able to share two small orders between all of us so the portions and pricing is really quite awesome. Had we been super hungry (or really, just trying not to spoil our appetites more than absolutely necessary) we could have easily shared 2 larges or 1 double portion for only a few dollars more.
I can't wait to get back and have more fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment