Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Restaurant Review: Artichoke Pizza


On 14th Street down by 2nd Avenue, a new friend introduced me to an amazing little hole in the wall pizzeria that I probably would have never noticed. Its name is Artichoke Pizza. Outside was crowded with people milling around eating large slices of thick pizza. There are benches scattered out by the restaurant itself but people were also simply sitting on stoops and eating.
Meanwhile, there was a consistent line out the door of the restaurant for people grabbing slices and pies to go. There was a small sit down area as well, but most seemed more interested in eating out in the sunlight. The interior seemed dark and eclectic but I was utterly charmed.
We sat outside and shared one GIANT piece of pizza.  When I say giant, I mean this was a HUGE slice of pizza.  And it was utterly delicious. We shared a slice of the pie the restaurant is named for. We got artichoke pizza which had the most delicious creamy cheese sauce. It was absolutely fantastic.  The artichoke wasn't bitter but beautifully cooked and I really did enjoy the lack of tomato sauce. I want another slice NOW.  Please and thank you.  The crust was thick and flaky, crisp on the bottom but still soft in the center.
I would also love to try the other pizzas because they looked equally delicious! Next time I'm down by Union Square I'll definitely be walking over!

No comments:

Post a Comment