Saturday, June 15, 2013

Recipe: Zucchini Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

I stumbled upon this Martha Stewart's Zucchini Nut Cookie recipe and decided that it would be fun to play around with it and make some cookies for a barbeque that I'm going to this weekend.  I figured this would be a nice and healthy, yet delicious treat. However, I did decide to change up the recipe some, mostly because I wanted chocolate and also because I didn't have brown sugar.  I think the brown sugar helps mask the green color from the zucchini. I didn't want the cookies to be green (since I didn't want people to ask me why they were green) so I decided to add coccoa powder in addition to the chocolate chips. The original recipe also has a cream cheese filling for the cookies but I decided to skip that as well.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
They're not super pretty, but they were utterly delicious!
1 cup finely grated zucchini
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tbs coccoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bown. In another bowl beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy and then beat in the egg and
vanilla.
Add the flour mix into the butter mixture. Add in the zucchini, oats and chocolate then refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
Drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. The original recipe says to use a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop to help the process which holds about 2 tablespoons of batter, but I wanted my cookies a little smaller, so I just used a tablespoon.
Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes.
Let cool and then eat some deliciousness.

Update:  The cookies were a big hit; moist and delicious! And no one believed that they were made with zucchini!  I'm definitely going to be making them again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment