Monday, June 24, 2013

A day of food...

Oh my goodness...
I spent my day eating... Yesterday, I had been so busy grilling and cooking for everyone that I barely ate anything at all (half a hamburger, 1 small piece of kielbasa and some chocolate chip zucchini cookies) and then today I ate far, far too much for comfort.  I was definitely ridiculous.
My friends and I were wandering through New York City and we ate DELICIOUS food at every turn.  I have been home for 2 hours and I'm still uncomfortably full!
But it was soooo GOOD!
We started the day in Brooklyn at the Smorgasburg right under the Brooklyn Bridge. There were amazing vendors of food from around the world. I only did a small sampling but it was truly delicious! (I'll be writing a whole blog about it later on with pictures and more details) I don't know when I'll get back there, but I absolutely have to because there was just so much amazing looking food that it's worth the trek to Brooklyn.
After some lovely munching in the sun we went into Manhattan where I got a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Shake from Godiva... and then because I'm a Chocoholic and obviously have a problem I finished my friends Dark Chocolate Shake (she'd gotten through about 1/4 of it when she decided it was too much chocolate for her). I'm crazy and I finished it ALL.  Mine was utterly spectacular and is my favorite flavor shake from Godiva. Right now, they're having a special 5 shakes and you get one free (they give you a card and stamp it, so you don't have to order them all at once lol)... I may actually accomplish this since I love this one sooo much.
Then after a little shopping near Union Square we wandered down to St. Marks place and did another little food tour. We stopped first at Pommes Frites an amazing little shoppe on 2nd Avenue that serves authentic Belgian fries and only that. (I'll also be doing a whole post on those wonderful, delightful, tasty potato-y bites) We shared a whole lot of fries as an appetizer to dinner since one of my best friends had never tried their french fries before. In college, when we wandered the down town area Pommes Frites was a staple for my friends and I (especially if there was any kind of drinking involved in our outings).
Then I happened to notice that right across the way was one of my favorite and most authentic Italian restaurants in NYC. It's name is Via Della Pace and I cannot say enough good things about the food and wine there (sooo there will also be a post about it)! I lived in Italy for more than three years and I love the food there. My girls (some of whom I met while all of us were living in Florence) and I have gone to Via Della Pace for mini reunions and reminders of good times. When I pointed it out to my friends today they were game to try and so in we went for more food, of the pasta variety.  MMMMMMM.... Just mmmmmm....
Then as if we hadn't eaten enough Angela suggested we go to one of her favorite Italian bakeries in the village, the Veniero Pasticceria.  It was so good that it also warrents its own post.  All I ordered was coffee but I wound up trying a little of everyone else's dessert so I can honestly say it was delicious and worth the visit....

And now I'm home and still very, very full after a truly fantastic day of food and friends. I can't wait to do a repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment