Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Restaurant Review: Skene Restaurant and Event Coordinator

I went to Skene last Friday night with my coworkers. I didn't go there to eat although there was good food
available. I went there for an Expat comedy show and it was pretty amazing.
The place itself was pretty snazzy. It was modern with some beautiful lighting in the entry hall and wonderful art in the general seating area.. I loved the colors in the paintings and the general vibrancy.  I was really impressed with the interior and was particularly happy when they dimmed the lights which reduced the glare.  Then when the comedy show began they lowered the lights entirely and put spots on the stage and it felt like a real comedy club.
We got there early and some of my friends ordered food. Endira, Tanya and Ashley got hamburgers with roasted potatoes. The potatoes were quite tasty, roasted with salt and rosemary, not with tons of oil. The edges were crisp while the center was deliciously soft. Blatantly, I tried a few potatoes, you know, for research purposes. I didn't try the hamburgers but they looked fantastic and juicy in the center.  They all cleared their plates, so they must have been delicious. I will warn you though, if you order a burger at Skene be aware that it will come Italian style. AKA: No bun. It's fairly typical of the Italians but they bring Italian bread to the tale if you really want to eat your burger as a traditional sandwich..
The burger dishes were €10 which is not bad in pricing. However, there was a cover for the comedy show.
It was €15 and included one drink, so most people spent €25 minimum.  It's a bit on the expensive side but the show was worth it. If you are with 2 friends I suggest ordering a bottle of wine as your first drink which will go toward your 3 included drinks in the cover. As a result you'll each have more wine to drink.
I wasn't hungry that evening (I had a very large and late lunch= but when I go back next time I think I'll take advantage of the meal deal available.  The cover, a starting antipasto, a pasta dish and a dessert all for €25. I think that would definitely be worth it as it costs the same as the cover and a burger.  Of course, it's only worth it if you're hungry or if you're sharing.  I recommend getting there early so you can order your food with calma. The waitstaff is a little slow and hectic so if you're just drinking go straight to the bar. If you're ordering food, have a little patience, it may take them a second to sort out.
I really enjoyed the comedy show as well. It was an ex pat event and therefore all the comedians were English speaking.  There were American, British and even an Italian comic. They were hilarious. Almost everyone there was part of the Expat community in Rome.
So what is an expat?
An expat is someone who has transferred from their home country somewhat permanently to Italy.  Many have married Italians or have dual citizenship. The have all chosen to live in Italy, just like me.
Therefore I thought the humor was great. They joked about living in Italy with lines that aren't lines, the post office that doesn't function, and lack of multi-symptom cold medicine.  My favorite jokes were about the Italian American family. It was relatable and hilarious.
We were all cracking up to almost all of the comedians. There was one Brit who we did not find funny (because of general inappropriateness) , but other than that every performer was great.
The crowd was also quite friendly and it seems like a good event to socialize and meet new people.  The expat group is a great place to get to meet new people, American, English and Italian.  If you don't speak Italian it is a great way to comfortably meet and socialize with people and from there you can meet Italians and practice speaking Italian as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment