Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Restaurant Review Rome: Il Secchio

Ristorante Il Secchio
A couple of months ago, I went with Endira to a restaurant right near Termini Station for a quick bite to eat. It was a cute, little place with lovely outdoor seating called Il Secchio. "Il secchio" means the bucket and I would love to know why they chose that name. The restaurant itself was definitely on the touristy side because of its location but it was decent food, a little lacking in flavor but definitely not a bad price point. Our waiter was quite nice, but not always super attentive.
We ordered a bottle of the house white wine and it was quite good and light, definitely not too sweet or dry.
I ate a pasta dish that used tonnarelli (a typical thick Roman noodle) and had a lovely cream and mushroom sauce. It was on the bland side but I coated it with lots of grated cheese and added some salt and pepper. The mushrooms were well cooked and the cream was well made. I liked it even though it wasn't my absolute favorite pasta dish.
Endira ordered roast chicken with french fries. In fairness, I think she actually orded roasted potatoes and some how wound up with french fries because the waiter was not super attentive. The plate itself looked good
but the chicken was a little dry and bland so Endira wasn't thrilled with her meal. The fries were good and hot though.
We also ordered a side of chicory and that was actually quite flavorful. It was the most flavorful thing on the table and I loved it. It was made "ripassata" so cooked with olive oil, whole cloves of garlic and some red pepper flakes. I really love it and it was probably one of my favorite chicory dishes that I've tried in Rome. I could have eaten two or three plates of it... Ok, let's not lie. I could eat that chicory forever. It wasn't overly bitter and was light on the oil but not on flavor.
Il Secchio wasn't my favorite restaurant but it had some shining moments (mostly the cicoria) and I would go again in a pinch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment