Sunday, October 13, 2013

Apple Picking Fun

Okay, so I wanted to post this before I left for Rome...
However, things got hectic with packing and hanging out with friends and saying goodbyes... I started writing and never had a chance to finish writing.  So I'm writing this post from Rome, but it's about Jersey Apple Picking and fall.

I am always excited for fall.
Autumn is my favorite season because it means crisp air, leaves that change color, sweet apples, pumpkins and freshly baked pies, their sweet odor floating on the breeze...
It's the season where you can break out the cardigans and boots but that for the most part is still warm enough for short sleeves or shorts. It's light layers not bundling up.

Hello Apples!!

Most importantly it's a time for apple picking at apple orchards.

If you've never been apple picking you have not lived! Every year I try to go at least once because it's generally a nice relaxing outing meant to happen with family and friends.

I was so excited that some of my best friends humored my whims and went apple picking with me the week before I left. It was quite an adventure and just an amazing day overall.

Every apple picking adventure starts with picking a farm. If you want to pick your own, rather than buying apples at a market, I recommend either asking for recommendations from friends or going online.  None of my friends or family regularly go apple picking anymore so I usually use my internet.  I found Pick Your Own to research my farms in the tri state area (although I think you may be able you use it regionally as well). The site is also great because it has wonderful information about the farms and different varieties of apples available and what the apples are best used for. It is also wonderful because it tells you all of the other fruits and vegetables that can be picked at various farms.

I found a couple of great options on that site. My top choices were Alstede FarmsRiamede FarmStony Hill Gardens and Sun High Orchard. I really wanted a large farm that would have lots of apples still on their trees. And if some of the trees were large enough to be climbed, even better. ;)  I thought Alstede looked like a very child friendly place and it often has special events to pull you in and to discount the price. There is an entry fee unless they're having special events.  Both Riamede and Stony Hill also looked great but we ultimately decided to go to Sun High Orchard after calling the farms to find out pricing.  Riamede, Stony Hill and Sun High were all free entry and I believe had the option of hay rides but only Sun High had apples that were only $1.79 lb ($0.20 less a lb).  I think pricing changes pretty often, so it's never a bad idea to call and check.

Sorting our apples and making trades
We spent all day picking apples and running goofing off.  Sadly, there was no tree climbing, unfortunately none of the trees were big enough and it was prohibited. We had fun anyway picking each other up to reach the tallest branches with the best apples.
The Sun High Orchard had so many different kinds of apples that it was almost impossible to decide which to pick for ourselves.  They had baking apples and eating apples, ones that were sweeter, some more tart, others crisp. Oh my goodness, we had so much fun going from section to section choosing apples. Then we sat and sorted and traded until we finally chose about a bag of apples each. The apples were great, but it may be getting late in the season so go!!! And while you're at it get a pumpkin!  And then make pies and cakes and other awesome goodies.

My apples that made it home... I ate some on the way :D 
Next time I go to Sun High I'm definitely going to get a pumpkin too and maybe one of their honeys since almost everything in the small store is locally grown.  I would also suggest trying their apple cider donuts and their apple cider because both were delicious.  Oh, and their pastries look delicious too. I tried a bite of the apple crumble and it was crisp and sweet with just enough crumble to apple ratio.  
Next time pumpkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment