Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Recipe: Grilled Chocolate and Strawberry Sandwich

I found a recipe for a grilled brie, raspberry and dark chocolate sandwich and I really want to try it.  The photo looked so amazing and I'm very curious about the combination of brie and chocolate.  I feel like the raspberries would be an amazing way too bring the flavors together.
I went to the store with intentions of getting raspberries and brie but sadly I couldn't find raspberries so I bought strawberries instead.  Less of a tang but still enough sweetness to work with the cheese and chocolate.
I wanted to try making my brie, choclate and strawberry grilled cheese but just as I was prepping it as a dessert my roommates came into the kitchen and I lost my nerve.  I chickened out and didn't make the sandwich I had originally intended to make.  I just didn't feel like explaining my logic to my roommates (AGAIN) and get the judging looks.  I love my roommates. They are amazing girls but not always the most adventurous with food.
So instead of making my grilled cheese dessert I made a grilled chocolate and strawberry sandwich with no brie that was utterly amazing.  Next time I'll make it with my brie regardless of who's around.
Ingredients:
2 slices bread
2-3 pats of butter
1 bar dark chocolate
3-5 strawberries

I had a very large bar of chocolate to make my sandwich so I used a sharp knife to make chocolate shavings.  I decided for finer shavings rather than large chunks so the chocolate would melt faster and more evenly.
I covered both slices of bread with a medium layer of chocolate. If you're a chocoholic add more!  Then I sliced the strawberries and put them to the side for later.  
Put the better in a pan and heat over a low flame.  When the butter is melted, carefully place the bread in the pan.  Try not to let the chocolate touch the pan because it will melt, burn and then stick to the pan.
Let the bread get nice and golden shifting it around the pan once in a while (to make sure it's not sitting in any hot spots). A few minutes should do.  The chocolate will start to lighten in color.
When you take the bread out of the pan, you will be able to easily spread the chocolate with a knife and it will magically look like nutella.
Add the slices of strawberry to one of the slices, close the sandwich and eat happily.

The chocolate and strawberries are delicious between the slices of warm buttery bread. I was very very pleased with my dessert sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment