Thursday, December 26, 2013

Restaurant Review Rome: Ristorante Bar Del Fico

On Friday night, I got to try a vry tasty restaurant in Rome. It's very popular in historic center and is usually very crowded. In the first weeks I was in Rome a lot of people suggest I try Ristorante Bar del Fico which literally means the "Cool Bar Restaurant". I wonder who had the audacity to name it such, did they name it before it was cool, hoping that it would be? or did they name it after it became popular?
Either way, it has a great atmosphere with wonderful lighting. I really liked the overall vibe and thought that finally got seated we started talking to the guys sitting next to us and we wound up hanging out with them for a good portion of the evening.
the seating was great fun. Large tables are divided between multiple parties so you can converse with your group or make friends with those next to or across from you. In fact, when we
The food was also fabulous. I ordered the special ravioli dish, Ravioli al Pecorino di Fossa con salsa di pere. I almost went with something
traditionally Roman but decided that I wanted to try something more unique and it was utterly delicious. The ravioli itself was cooked perfectly. The cheese just salty enough complemented by the sweetness of fresh pear slices and the delicous pear sauce. It was also drizzled with a beautiful balsamic reduction which really went well with the combination of flavors. I really liked it even though it was a small portion (and slightly expensive at €14). My friends ordered some of the more traditional fare and I got to try a bite of each of their plates and it was quite delicious. Laure ordered the Cacio e Pepe in all its cheesy goodness while her roomie got La Matriciana which was absolutely amazing. The matriciana was amazing, probably my favorite that I've tried so far in Rome. Everything we ate was fresh and delicious and arrived pretty quickly.
We also ordered profitteroles for dessert and they were quite delicious, just the right portion to share
between the two of us sharing.  It was rich and creamy without being overbearing.
However, I do have one lament. The service Friday night was horrible. We waited for almost an hour, which by itself is not actually a problem. The actual problem was that the host told us that the wait would be about 20 minutes and then preceded to ignore us entirely, not giving us any updates whatsoever. It was okay for the most part because we got some drinks and chilled in the bar area but it was rather annoying because we had no idea what was going on.  Unfortunately, the bad service didn't end there. Once we ordered and our food arrived, our waitress disappeared entirely. So when we wanted our check, we couldn't get it. I asked the various members of the waitstaff 4 different times for the bill and still it did not come. After at least a half hour, we finallystood up and put on our jackets. We decided to go ask out front. Lo and behold, our waitress came running over. And finally, asked if we wanted our check. -.-
We were not pleased.
However, I am willing to try the restaurant again to see if the poor service was just a one time problem. The food was great and our company stellar so I'd like to try at least one more time before passing full judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment