Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Recipe: Pomegranate Blueberry Sauce

I love cranberry sauce. Last year, I bought an absurd amount of cranberry sauce for thanksgiving so this year when faced with the impossibility of having any I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. Generally speaking, that's exactly when I become my most creative.
I was in a vegetable market looking around when I suddenly spotted pomegranates. I thought that they would add a nice sweetness but still have enough tang to not be cloyingly sweet.
My main concern was figuring out how to get the liquid out of the pomegranate. There are wayyyy too many seeds so I wasn't sure where to start. Luckily for me, google exists and eventually after a lot of trial and error I found a Rachel Ray recipe that explained how to get the juice out of a pomegranate without going completely mad. Then from there, the rest of the recipe was easy and fun to concoct.
So here it is (complete with how to free the juice from your pomegranate... be warned it was a little messy).

Ingredients:
2 medium pomegranates
500 grams of blueberries (about 2 small containers)
4 tbs sugar
Fruit juice (I found a berry juice at the Italian supermarket that worked perfectly but you could also use a blueberry pomegranite juice from v8 or pom)

Roll your pomegranates on a hard surface. Apply a little pressure but not enough to crack them open.  I rolled my large pomegranate for about 5 minutes and I only cracked the seeds closest to the surface. Keep rolling even longer than you think necessary!  Then over a bowl or a dish, cut into your pomegranate carefull but BE CAREFUL! The juice squirts out and can make a mess (yes, I made a mess). Cut a couple of holes into the pomegranate to make sure you get as much juice out. Then cut into your pomegranate and wonder at how much you missed. :D I wanted to utilize every last drop of pomegranate, so I scraped the seeds into my trusty new blender and blended for a couple of pulses. I then strained the mixture to remove the seeds.
It's a lot of work but definitely worth the effort.
Stir in about a tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. Start cooking down.  As the juice starts to boil add in red pepper flakes and one container of blueberries washed and whole. Add in about a cup of juice.  Bring back to a boil. Stir periodically and taste as the mixture starts to thicken. Add in another tablespoon of sugar and a little more salt. When the blueberries have broken down almost entirely, add a little more juice and salt to the mixture. Bring back to a low boil and add in the other blueberries.
Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes stirring periodically.  Keep a close eye on the sauce so it doesn't burn or reduce down to much. At this point you should taste and add more pepper flakes and salt to balance out the sweetness.  Cook down to desired consistency.
It shouldn't be too thick, otherwise when it cools it will form a kind of caramel.  But it should easily coat the back of your spoon.

This sauce is utterly delcious with a hint of spice and a nice rich tanginess that complements turkey, chicken or pork (and probably lots of other things as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment