Monday, September 30, 2013

Chicago Restaurant Review: Haymarket Pub & Brewery


Sooo this particular post is very, very overdue.
I get very easily distracted... That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D

I was in Chicago on the last day of June and it was a great day full of walking and adventure. And at the end of the night, we missed the train. I'm kind of glad we did because it meant that we had an hour wait till the next train and therefore we could explore some more. That's how we found Haymarket Pub & Brewery. It was about 10 minutes from the train station and one of the few
places open late on a Sunday night.

The Brew House and Fermentation System
We had already missed the live entertainment but the restaurant was full of music and people. There was lots of great atmosphere and fun. It was on the dark side but there were lots of lights and plenty of things to look at, including their brewery.
It was pretty amazing to see their brewing system through a window. They brew a lot of beers on the premises.  I found out afterward that they actually give tours of their brewery on Sundays. The tours start at 12, 2 and 4. It also includes a 12 oz beer and a guided tasting of 4 4 oz beers.  For $15 a person I definitely would have gone on the guided tour. But that will have to wait till my next visit to the area.
I was impressed at how many kinds of beers they produced and I wish I had tried one of theirs, rather than the cider I decided to drink. I should have asked the waitress like my brother did. He had a great IPA while I had the most disgusting cider I've ever tried before. Normally, cider is my favorite drink in the world, but this one was bitter and an utter fail. Had I asked my waitress, she probably could have and would have told me all about it. But I didn't. As a result I'm going to write a whole review of ciders in another day or so. It was a Virtue Cider Red Streak 5.2% Proper English style Draft Cider. I drank it all like a trooper, but it was NOT good and I do not recommend it. That being said, I'm sure someone out there likes it. Next time I'm trying one of their brews and I'll actually ask the waitress for a recommendation. As my brother pointed out, servers at brewerys are generally trained on the different  types of beers offered.
Mac n' cheese and my cider

We weren't super hungry so we each got a drink and a little bit of bar food. I really liked looking through the menu and wished that I had been hungry enough to have a full meal. I would have tried one of their seasonal fresh options.
They had three signature items that really interested me. Their signature sandwich, The Riot looked quite appealing. It's house-made spicy Italian sausage patty, topped with smoked pulled pork, mozzarella, bbq sauce and a giardiniera spread on a brioche bun.  Then the Smokin' Hot Legs also looked really good. Chicken legs brined, smoked and then finished in the fryer and finally tossed in the house-made buffalo sauce. It certainly looks like an interesting twist on wings.
The sweet potato tots
We tried the mac n' cheese and the sweet potato tots. They were small plates for $5 each, so a little on the steep side considering the portion. However, the sweet potato tots were unique and quite delicious. There were mild, lightly fried and not too sweet so I really enjoyed them.
The mac n' cheese was also quite good. It wasn't too cheesy, nor too salty which was right up my
alley. I did wind up adding pepper, but I like a little bite of pepper or spice in my mac n' cheese.
If I ever have the opportunity to go back, I'll definitely try one of their home made brews and maybe one of their  half-pound angus burgers with their house-cured and smoke bacon, especially the one topped with a fried egg. It sounds utterly delicious.
If you're in the Chicago area looking for a Pub, beer and some bar food, I highly recommend the Haymarket Pub & Brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment