Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Recipe: Mini Chocolate Pear Cupcakes

So, I haven't written a blog in ages and I miss it!  I miss writing about food, taking pictures of food, cooking new and unique things.
Earlier today a couple of my high school students (for anyone who doesn't know, I tutor kids English) started asking if we could have a party for their last day of summer school with me... Now, I have no intention of letting them party when we have to talk about the last chapters of Huckleberry Finn, however, I did allow them to convince me to bring them party food.  As a result I've been baking happily for a few hours.  I decided to make Mini Peach Cupcakes adapting my Nectarine Raspberry Cupcake Recipe as a base.
I also decided to please the chocoholic in me by creating a new chocolate cupcake also using the same recipe base since I like the consistency. Ever since Italy I have been fascinated with the combination of chocolate and pear so I decided to try the combination myself.
I went for the mini cupcake so I can feed more of my students but this recipe should absolutely work with regular sized cupcakes as well.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbs butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 medium pear, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar until it is pale and fluffy. Make sure the butter is room temperature! It makes this step so much easier. Continue mixing and beat in 1 egg at a time followed by the vanilla. The slowly add in the flour alternating with the milk. I actually decided to add another 1/4 cup of milk because it was feeling a little too dry since it's so hot outside.  Stir in the pear and chocolate chips gently.
Line a mini muffin tin (or regular muffin tin). Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick will come out clean.  Let cool in tin.



No comments:

Post a Comment