Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Restaurant Review: Baked by Melissa

So, I got my hair chopped off (13 inches baby!) in the city on Sunday and then I wandered around looking for food. I didn't get anything savory but I did find the utterly adorable Baked by Melissa.

 It's a mini cupcake shop on 61st and Lex. And when I say mini, I do mean mini cupcakes. They are bite size and quite cute.  There are 12 regular flavors (there are also 8 chocolate covered flavors), soo I got a box  with 12 cupcakes for $10 (a little steep, but I was in a good mood and absolutely had to try these little things).  There are 2 cupcakes with peanut butter so I skipped those since I really, really dislike peanut butter (yes, I know, sacriligeous for an american... but I can't help it... lol).
In any case (from left to right), a tie-dye, the May special Berry Silly Cereal, a red velvet, a mother's day mini, a cookies & cream, a chocolate chip pancake, a cinnamon, a mint chocolate chip, 2 triple chocolate fudges, a cookie dough and another mother's day mini.
Of all of these, I ate quite a few of them.  They were bite size and therefore go down really easily.  But I did
The Delicious looking menu!
share the rest with my mother, who quite enjoyed them as well. She said they were a bit sweet but still good. Her favorite was the mint chocolate chip and she also liked the Berry Silly Cereal which is Trix cake, marshmallow fluff stuffing, Trix icing and Trix bark topping.
I ate a chocolate chip pancake, the 2 triple chocolate fudges, a mother's day, a tie dye and a cookie dough... Yeahh I definitely ate the majority of them.  But I didn't feel guilty because they are tiny.  Like less than 50 calories tiny.
I grabbed my cupcakes in the store and then because it's only a storefront with no seating area, I took my cupcakes to eat in Central Park a few blocks away.
The mother's day cupcake is strawberry cake, pink vanilla icing, vanilla cream stuffing and white chocolate drizzle. It was quite tasty but a little on the sweet side for me.  The triple chocolate fudge was sooo good. It was such delicious chocolate-y goodness without being too sweet. But my favorite was probably the chocolate chip pancake. Yellow pancake, maple syrup icing and chocolate chip topping. I don't know why exactly I liked it, but it was utterly fantastic.
So, were the cupcakes worth it? 12 for $10 was a tad on the expensive side, but the cupcakes are quite delicious and moist. I wish they had been just a little bigger but that's ok. I would definitely considering cupcakes again in an even larger quantity (the more you order, the more cost efficient they become). Also, I would really enjoy tasting their chocolate covered cupcakes. I would absolutely go again.
Enjoying my triple chocolate bite size cupcake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment