Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Product Review: Betty Crocker Hot Chocolate Cupcake Mix

I don't tend to use boxed mixes very often anymore, but every now and then I get lazy and don't feel like going through the motions of mixing and measuring. Sometimes I just want instant gratification in which case I try different boxed mixes.
I found this mix in my closet a couple of weeks ago (sometimes my mother buys things and I don't notice) and it stared at me for a while tauntingly for days.  Finally I had to do it.  I could not resist the idea of Hot Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow frosting. The box says cupcakes but I ignored that.
I really wanted cake.  I followed the back of the box, with the exception of an extra teaspoon or so of olive oil for moistness. I baked it for a few minutes longer than the box indicated (just because it was thinking cupcakes), just until a toothpick came out clean.
When the cake came out of the oven I let it cool all the way and then I made the included frosting with hot water.  I thought I could make it without a mixer, but I was wrong.  Keep that in mind.
The frosting was VERY marshmallow-y so if you don't like marshmallow be forewarned.
Before I actually poured the frosting on the cake, just because I'm a lush, I brushed the cake with bacardi rum for a Spiked Hot Chocolate Cake.  I didn't put a lot so it wasn't noticeable to anyone who didn't know that I'd added it.  Next time I may have to add more for an extra kick.
The mix has bits of marshmallow throughout.

Everyone in the family really enjoyed the cake, well, except for mom because she's not the biggest fan of marshmallow.

It came out moist and delicious.  I would definitely consider using the mix again, although, I may add some more rum to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment