Sunday, March 27, 2011

Frozen Pizza Take 1

While living here in Florence I generally only eat pizza in restaurants, made by real Italians, preferably real Neapolitans. Hey, if it's a realistic option, why not? If and when I ever make it to the states I am going to be seriously spoiled!
But tonight, my new roommates (4 Italian girls from all over Italy) convinced me to do frozen pizza. Let me tell you, after the amazing Neapolitan pizza from Gusta Pizza the night before, frozen pizza did not sound overtly appealing.
But I let them talk me into it, and began to come up with the perfect scheme to make my ordinary frozen pizza margherita more interesting. I would not be having plain, boring, frozen pizza from a box. Granted, it's still not the same as freshly made pizza... but it's something :)

Spicy Cheese pizza
What you need:
1 frozen pizza (your favorite brand)
Parmesan cheese
Red pepper flakes to taste
Olive Oil
1/4 of an onion diced
1 clove of garlic diced

Bake your cheese pizza in the oven according to the box instructions.
In a skillet caramelize the onions and garlic in a little bit of olive oil. Add the red pepper flakes for some kick.
When the pizza is done, cover with parmesan cheese and then drizzle the spicy onion mixture on top while still hot, which should melt the parmesan.
Eat subito!!


Simple, but definitely added some punch to my frozen pizza.
I really do love being creative with my food. I can think of a lot of variations and things to add to frozen pizza to make it fresher and more delicious, and a lot less like it came out of a box.

~Raspberry Truffle

No comments:

Post a Comment