Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Art of Easter Eggs Part II

I talked about making Easter Eggs a couple of days ago in my post The Art of Easter Eggs.  The last couple of years I haven't been able to decorate eggs because I've been out of the country. I've had some good Easter dinners but sadly, no egg painting.
So this year I decided to decorate twice. First I made crackled deviled eggs. They are the definition of non permanence but they were a delicious edition to Easter. Although I will say, a couple of my friends were scared of the bright blue colors. They were far less intimidated by the pink eggs. I ate most of the blue ones
and can honestly say they didn't taste any different and they were scrumptious.
Then as soon as we ate our deviled eggs and other appetizers, we moved back to the kitchen and started decorating the eggs that I'd hollowed out.  Each of us walked away with 3 beautiful little keepsakes.

To cut down costs, rather than buying Egg decorating boxes I decided to use supplies I already had in the house. I used food coloring, water and vinegar for 2 blues, pink, and green and then I tried using kool-aid for yellow and red. The kool-aid colors worked just as well as the food dye and they smelled delicious. I wish I hadn't added the vinegar to brighten the colors because then we could have had some drinks afterwards!

For patterns and designs we decided to use crayons.  It worked like a charm.  If you draw on your eggs, the crayon designs stay on even after dipped in colors. We each drew whatever came to mind.
I drew an abstract pattern, flowers and even Nemo!!!

It was seriously amusing and kept us entertained and occupied for about an hour or so; proving that we're just a bunch of little kids at heart. Mind you, the youngest person at the table was 24, so little kids we are not.  I'll definitely by trying more kool-aid colors next year and will most certainly keep up this new tradition.

A convenient way to dry your eggs is to place them into the original egg cartons.


No comments:

Post a Comment