Saturday, March 23, 2013

Restaurant Review: Alice's Teacup Chapter 2

Walking down 73rd street towards Central Park you don't always notice Alice's Teacup right away. It's a small store front, a little below street level. If you're moving quickly, as New Yorkers often do, you could easily miss the whimsical colored window.
W 73rd between Colombus and Amsterdam
Stepping inside is stepping down the rabbit hole but with scones and a beautiful assortment of different teas. Alice's is one of my favorite places in NYC (all 3 locations but the west side location in particular). It embraces a sense of whimsy and is inviting for both children and adults. It has the feeling of a British tea shop but also somewhere a child can decide to be a fairy for the afternoon. There are large canisters of tea, and a small bakery in the front.
The opposite wall is Alice Paraphenilia, tea pots, books, fairy wings, fairy dust. Imagination at any age is accepted here. In fact, I often ask to make a wish and the wait staff is happy to sprinkle fairy dust over my head. It's something that most children do and get excited about, but I love that the staff doesn't blink when an adult wants to play too.

I go to Alice's fairly often, either with friends for a fun meal, by myself to sit and write or even just to pick up scones for a picnic in the park (just about a block away). There's almost always a wait but it's worth it. The staff is always friendly and helpful, even when there's a crowd. I honestly don't mind waiting for the buttery scones and hot tea. There's clotted cream and raspberry jam. They do some delicious sandwiches and if you're looking for an authentic british experience you can always order one of their delicious "towers". I believe there are 3 tower choices, each with a fantastical name like the "jaberwocky" and you can order based on how many are in your party or on how hungry you are. Each tower comes with finger sandwiches, scones with cream and jam and a selection of cookies and cakes. And you get to pick whichever tea happens to tickle your fancy that day. They have a large selection of oolong, black, green, white, caffeinated, decaf, floral, rooibos, matè... I love reading through their combinations and trying different teas each time. And I love that they have a different selection of fresh scones each day.
I was there Thursday afternoon and had a tea and scones plate (2 scones and a pot of tea for $12, on the expensive side, but well worth it). I chose a basil goat cheese scone and a chocolate chip salted caramel scone and had an oolong (I don't remember it's full name but I think it was Hao Bao) known for it's detox properties.. which I definitely needed after all of the filling and delicious goodies.
Everything was delicous. The tea was light and full of flavor while the basil goat cheese scone was flaky and practically melted in my mouth with its savory goodness. It went really well with a light spread of butter while the chocolate chip caramel was a perfect dessert paired with the cream and jam. The clotted cream is delicous although not the best I've had (that would be in London). I really enjoyed the combination.
No one rushed me as I sat there eating and writing. I got a chance to sit and relax and daydream in a very creative environment.
There are Alice in Wonderland quotes scrawed on the walls and it's very inviting. I love that it's a great place to relax or to bring children for an afternoon of dressup for a magical tea party. I love being around for brunch because you see so many different people.
And the brunch menu with poached eggs and french toasts is absolutely stellar. But just remember that they don't take reservations, so you should get there early. Be prepared to do a little waiting. I would recommend taking a walk in the cute neighborhood. There is some great shopping and quite a bit to see. Or you can always go into central park while waiting for your scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment