Thursday, March 28, 2013

Recipe: Savory French Toast Sandwich

I love french toast and I especially love making sandwiches with French Toast.  It's easy to make and fun to get creative with.

Savory French Toast
4 pieces of thick sliced bread (challah or whole wheat)
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne (even a little more if you like spicy)
1 tbs white white (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Whip the eggs with the spices and white wine. Soak the slices of bread in the egg mixture.  Heat a small amount of oil or butter (if you want to go healthy, you can also use cooking spray) and then place the slices down on the hot surface. If you're using cooking spray, it will heat faster and possibly begin to smoke. I prefer to use butter because I like the taste best, but oil gets a great golden color as well. Let cook for about a minute on each side or until golden brown.

At this point you can either serve the french toast with syrup and bacon or you can do what I often do and make a sandwich.

Tonight I decided to make a vegetarian french toast sandwich using fresh spinach, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and cranberries. I spread the cream cheese while the french toast was still warm and then sprinkled with shredded cheddar (it starts to melt right away). You can slice the spinach leaves or place them whole on the bread if you prefer and then add as many cranberries as you like. It adds a nice sweet kick that isn't too jarring.  It was utterly delicious and I highly recommend trying it.  And it paired really well
with my Once Upon a Vine Chardonnay.



No comments:

Post a Comment