Friday, February 1, 2013

Kitchen Blunders

This past December I was baking sugar cookies with some friends and I got the brilliant idea of making glitter sugar.  Sugar cookies always seem so beautiful when paired with sugar decorations.

The recipe seemed simple enough. Sugar, food coloring and bake for 10 minutes or so at 350 F.
EASY. And the end result looks like glitter!!

And yet, I messed it up.
Not once.
But twice.

Well, you see, the first time, I kind of forgot to check the sugar... Sooo no glitter. Tasty, melty sugar... Not quite caramel, but pretty good.

I would have stopped there. There was no more sugar in the big cupboard, but my friend, naming no names went hunting for more in the small cupboard and she found some! We were so excited to try again, so we made an even larger quantity of red and green sugar glitter!

I let it bake for 10 minutes precisely and then checked. However, no glitter. No melting, but no sugar. I had lowered the heat a bit so I thought, well maybe another 5 minutes.
All in all, I let this batch bake for about 20 minutes. No glitter, no melting just a slight deepening of the color.

I didn't bother to question why. I had simply failed... again. 

No matter though. I figured it would be a good decoration in any case, since it matched our Christmas themed cookies.

Once it dried, I decorated 5 cookies, threw them in the oven.

About an hour later, when the cookies had cooled I decided to try one.

I went from smiling, laughing to screaming in about 15 seconds flat.  We made colored SALT!!!  We never actually tested our found "sugar". We just assumed it was sugar, which was apparently, not a good decision.

My face must have looked so ridiculous as I sputtered and screamed "It's salt!  How the hell did we use salt?" I hadn't even put a small quantity of "sugar" on the cookies, NOOOO, I had coated them thoroughly.

My friend could only laugh, "No wonder they wouldn't start to glitter."
Some of my "Sugar" decorated cookies... Thank goodness I hadn't made more of them
Gahhh the horrible taste stayed in my mouth after a bottle of water and 2 regular non salted sugar cookies...

MORAL:  Always taste your non labeled spices. You may guess incorrectly...

~Raspberry Truffle

No comments:

Post a Comment