Sunday, January 2, 2011

Recipe: Spicy Chickpea Stew

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes (the ones I used were almost overly ripe)
1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp sugar
1 quart vegetable broth
salt and pepper
pasta

1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic begins to brown (2-3 minutes).
3. Add the spices and cook for one minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, sugar, broth, a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
5. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Add more liquid if the broth evaporates too much.
6. Boil water with some salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
7. Crush about half of the beans and chickpeas, then stir the soup well before serving.
8. Pour the soup into a bowl and serve with a small helping of pasta on top.  Decorate with a sprig of parsley or basil (I didn't have either, so my plate had no decorations).



This came out absolutely delicious!  Thanks to Oh, Mishka for the wonderful idea!!
(spicy moroccan chickpea soup recipe)
I haven't been to the supermarket in ages so I had to get a little creative. I used Mishka's recipe as a base and then adapted it to what I had in my kitchen!   Next time I might add some potatoes to the mix as well. 
I ate it with a piece of foccaccia on the side with cream cheese to counter the spicy.  SOooo Delicious!!!

~Raspberry Truffle

No comments:

Post a Comment