Thursday, April 11, 2013

Restaurant Review: Zinburger

I've heard mixed reviews about the Zinburger in Garden State Plaza Mall. It opened its doors a few months ago and I've been wanting to try it. From what my friends had told me the service wasn't fantastic, some of the fries were soggy and not served in a timely manner  but they said the burgers were AMAZING.
Even with the mixed reviews, I wanted to go and lucky for me this past weekend I finally got an opportunity to eat there with one of my best friends Andrea (who had actually given me one of the mixed reviews).
We went on Saturday night around 6 o'clock. We decided that it would be best to avoid the dinner rush and since I was starving after only having a yogurt all day it was perfect timing.  We got seated right away by a friendly hostess and then our waitress checked up on us promptly and then periodically thereafter to tell us the food and drink specials and to take our drink orders.
After lots of indecision (honestly, everything on the menu sounded fantastic) I decided to get the Ringer, a burger with Nueske's Applewood Smoked Bacon, Frank's Hot Onion Rings, pepper-jack Cheese and Mayo. And at the waitress' suggestion I paired it with a really good Zinfandel (that was one of the nights' specials). Andrea decided to get the El Diablo, a burger with fire roasted jalapenos, pepper-jack cheese, caramelized onion and chipotle mayo, except she decided to hold the onions. And she got a glass of white wine to go with it. Then we decided that it was absolutely essential to share the sweet potato fries and the double truffle fries.
While we waited I got to really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and casual decor. The restaurant has a lot of wonderful open space with lots of wooden paneling and rich colors. The noise level inside the restaurant wasn't bad at all considering how crowded it was (the high ceilings were a great choice by the architects for the space). I think my favorite thing was the chalk board wall decorated with all of the monthly specialties. It really was quite charming and it really made me want to order the Rocky Road Milk Shake: chocolate ice cream, chocolate chips, milk, marcona almonds, mini marshmallows, garnished with whipped cream, extra chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and crushed almonds. Seriously, it looked delicious and was super tempting. But I knew that I really wanted to be able to savor my burger.  Priorities after all.
We didn't have to wait super long for our burgers which was really nice (I assume if you sit down to eat during peak hours you'll have to wait longer). The burgers and fries came out almost simultaneously and we played a little juggling act to make everything fit on the table.
The burgers were HUGE!! The fries looked crisp and crunchy. So of course I took a picture.


The sweet potatoes were great with just the right amount of salt and I was absolutely in love with the yogurt sauce. It was very reminiscent of a tzatziki sauce with a little zing.  And oh my goodness, the Double Truffle fries were DELICIOUS! Served with truffle aioli and truffle oil. I'm in love. Not soggy, not too crunchy, but fresh and just right.  I could have eaten just those and been perfectly content with my life... well, my dinner anyway.
The burger was medium rare like I'd ordered, maybe even a little under (which is how I like it fortunately). It was beautifully seasoned and just spicy enough with the frank's hot onion rings and pepper jack.  I was seriously in heaven.
Andrea liked her burger too but she wasn't thrilled with the jalapenos since they weren't fresh. They were the ones stored in oil and were cold against the hot burger, so I think next time she'll go for a different spicy burger instead.
I'm really glad I didn't get the shake this time (although they did look delicious). I wouldn't have been able to finish both and I was really in a burger kind of mood.
Since we were so full we decided to walk around the mall and then come back for dessert afterwards but we got tired and decided to call it a night and have some cupcakes at home instead.
I'm definitely looking forward to going to Zinburger again and trying some other burgers and definitely a shake as well!.  I'll have to be really hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment